Monday, May 10, 2010

Casted my Lot for Yellow

Today is the 2010 Presidential elections, and if you ask me right now who I voted for President I would say, although hesitantly, that it was Noynoy Aquino. Why hesitantly you might ask? Am I not proud of who I voted for? I say hesitantly, because half the pseudo intellectuals I call as friend would not find my choice to be the most intelligent, or bearing the earmarks of a true intellectual. After all, if school allegiance was the consideration, the fact that Noynoy Aquino alone is a graduate of a competing school to my alma matter, raises the flag that he isn't the right choice. But after several years of adult life, a great majority of it spent already after college, I realized that being a UP graduate alone is not the proper indicia for what would qualify as a good president. After all, former President Ferdinand Marcos, a bona fide UP law school graduate, with all his intellect and skill is still considered to have been one of the worst Philippine President of all time, having ushered several decades of total authoritarian regime, squelching democracy and fostering cronyism. Being intelligent alone obviously does not make for a good President when ones heart is not right. After all, now President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is not only an Ateneo graduate but a graduate of a prestigious U.S. ivy league school. All her intellect could not save her from her greed for power.

So what do I see in Noynoy? I can tell you neither impressive intellect nor skill. No capacity for rhetorical speeches like Obama, nor does he possess the kind of charisma that his father has. But I cast my lot to the most unlikely man of the hour, because I see in him the right heart. The heart of humility that I think is lacking in any of the running candidates. A heart who knows that the task at hand is greater than him and greater than the euphoria that has now brought him ahead in the surveys for the Presidential race.

I do not expect any ushering of eutopia. I expect very little from him except honesty and integrity which I have seen from both his parents. Maybe his only claim for fame is his name, but it is in that name that I am casting my lot, knowing that if he is half the Filipino he is, he will never do anything to shame his parent's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment